Monday, September 16, 2013

Simple DIY Halloween Candy Jar

Pin It
When I think of Halloween I think of zombies, monsters, witches and CANDY.  It's the one time of year when it is acceptable to eat candy for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.  So why not proudly display your vice in a cute candy jar...instead of stashing it away in a hidden cupboard in the kitchen.  Oops, did I just tell you my hiding place - please don't repeat that.  Personally, I'm a sucker for anything with chocolate, caramel, nuts and peanut butter so when I saw Snickers with Peanut Butter in the grocery store I had to get some.  I really wanted to get 10 bags but I resisted the urge and only got one - y'all should be proud of me...it was really hard.


I wanted a fun and simple candy jar to display my new favorite candy in.  I was envisioning something glass with Halloween images on the side - only problem, I didn't want to spend that much money.  I mean, I love Halloween and all but Christmas is my holiday so I would prefer to but my holiday decor budget towards that holiday...sorry Halloween, I promise I still love you.  So I decided to check out my local Dollar Store for some inspiration and that's when I had my Oprah Ah-Hah moment.


I decided to create my own glass candy jars using candlesticks and vases from the Dollar Store.  I know...genius idea, right?!?  Each item cost a dollar - could it get any better than that?  This might be the cheapest and cutest project I have ever done - I'm lovin' it (along with Bib Macs)!

Materials Needed:
2 Glass Candlesticks
2 Glass Vases
Epoxy (Gorilla Glue Brand)
Vinyl or Halloween Stickers
2 Bags of Candy 

~~You can find all of these items in our Amazon Store~~


Directions:

Step 1: Epoxy your candlestick to the bottom of the vase.  I used Gorilla Glue Brand Epoxy and it worked amazingly - these suckers are stuck together for the rest of their lives! Make sure you give the epoxy plenty of time to dry - we suggest at least 24 hours.  You could also use hot glue but it probably won't be as strong of a hold.  



Step 2: Cut out your Halloween images onto vinyl using your Silhouette Cameo.  I bought the spiderweb image from the Silhouette online store and then I traced the Jack-O lantern face from a Google image.   If you don't have a Silhouette Cameo you can use Halloween stickers instead.  Or you could buy contact paper and cut out Halloween shapes yourself.  

 

Step 3: Apply your vinyl or stickers to your glass vase.  We used transfer paper to help us apply the vinyl to the vase.  This stuff is great - we highly recommend it.  Plus you can reuse the same piece of transfer paper several times or until it loses it's stickiness.







Step 4: Smooth out any bumps in the vinyl and then fill your new Halloween Candy Jar with your favorite candy.  Obviously, I chose Snickers with Peanut Butter and then of course Candy Corn (it just wouldn't be Halloween without candy corn).

There you have it!! A quick and easy Halloween project that looks awesome!  





This is also a great project to do with the kids!  Epoxy the vase and candlestick together beforehand and then once everything is dry give the kiddos some stickers and let them decorate their own candy jar.  Now they'll have a cute place to put their candy after a night of trick or treating....if there is any left.


We hope you enjoyed this simple DIY Halloween Candy Jar!!
Now it's time for me to go finish that bag of Snickers :)
What's your favorite Halloween candy?
 photo pinterest_zpsdc70f891.png  photo facebook_zpsfe16b594.png  photo email_zps954a080a.png  photo twitter_zps05d066bf.png
fall decorating ideas

602933_531586560252869_1045268831_n

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...