Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Gingerbread Cookies

Pin It
Christmas is a time for baking cookies and eating way too many sweets!!  Growing up, my sister and I were always in the kitchen during the holidays making tons of cookies.  I remember one year my Dad came home with a new mixer for us ~ I was so excited!  And I still use that mixer today, even though it's like 15 years old :-)

 

Pin It


I asked the BF what his favorite Christmas tradition was and he told me it was making gingerbread men with his Mammy.  So while we were visiting his family for Thanksgiving, I made sure to get the recipe!

Gingerbread Cookies:

3/4 cup firmly packed dark or light brown sugar
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
2 eggs
1/2 cup molasses
3 1/4 cups flour
2 tsp. ginger
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. of each: allspice, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt


In a large bowl, beat sugar and butter until well blended.


Add eggs and molasses.  Stir in remaining ingredients.


Cover and chill the dough for 1 hour or overnight.


Roll dough on a well-floured board until 1/8 inch thickness. Cut into shapes.


Place on greased baking sheet.  Bake for 10 minutes at 350 degrees.  Cool on rack.


While the cookies are cooling, mix up your frosting. 

Ingredients:
1/2 cup margarine, softened
1 lb. powdered sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
~ 1/3 cup milk (add until you have the right consistency)



We used neon green & blue to dye some of the frosting.  We also left about 1/2 plain white and then decorated with Christmas sprinkles. 

Here's the BF's gingerbread man.  He did a cute bow tie and socks - which is very fitting for him!


I am currently recovering from a sugar high since I have no self control and insist on licking my fingers as I decorate each cookie!


What are some of your favorite Christmas traditions?

 
Picture2-2

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...