Tuesday, July 17, 2012

DIY Photo Wrapped Canvas

Pin It
You might have noticed that I am crafting/sewing tons of decor stuff, and guess what, it's because I'm moving this weekend!  After 5 years with the same roomie, we are parting ways (tear) - she's getting married in December!  Because my apartment has been the same for 5 years I'm ready for an update.  I'm changing out the couch pillows, placemats, and now the wall art.  Here's a tutorial for a DIY Photo Wrapped Canvas:

I've seen tons of ads/Groupons for photo canvases, but the price is ridiculous!  So here's the DIY version - it cost me about $35.  I used 1 picture but cropped it into 2 photos and wrapped them on 2 canvases.  So I needed 2 pictures printed poster size from CVS or 1 inch wider than the canvas on all four sides. 


Original Pic:

Cropped into 2 printed photos.

What you'll need:
2 pictures
2 canvases (I used 16 x 20 inches)
Modge Podge
Painters Tape
Foam Brush
Foam Roller


The photo I printed was way bigger than the canvas, so I cut it down to size. 
First trace the canvas on the back of the photo, then trace another rectangle 1 inch outside that.  Pre-fold the photo where it will fold over the edge of the canvas.


Paint on a layer of modge podge on to the inner rectangle of the photo and then on the canvas.



Smoothe out any air bubbles or extra Modge Podge.  I use an old gift card to do this. 


Allow the photo and canvas time to dry - at least 4 hrs.

Now it's time to wrap the photo around the edges - you want to make sure the first step has completely dried so that the  photo isn't slipping around on you.  Apply Modge Podge to the canvas and photo back.  Then pull the photo tightly and secure with painters tape (you will remove this once the modge podge is dry).


For the corners - pinch the extra photo paper together and then fold over, adhere with painters tape.






Once the Modge Podge has dried apply a coat on top of the photo with a paint roller.  This step will add texture to the photo and make it not so shiny and look more like a painting.



Here's a close up of the photo with Modge Podge on top - can you see the texture is gives it?


What do you think? 
This is a pic I took while we were in Chicago.



~Elizabeth


Skip To My Lou
The Girl Creative
















Sugar Bee Crafts


Reasons To Skip The Housework

Home Stories A2Z
HookingupwithHoH

Home is where the heart is. - Link it up! - Wednesdays - HomesteadSimple.com

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That's really cool!

Unknown said...

great idea how smart

Elizabeth @ Southern Color said...

Thanks! I love the idea of having wall art that represents places you've traveled. And this project makes it easy to personalize!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...