Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Glass Cutting 101

Pin It
Happy Hump Day Everyone!!!

A few months ago I updated some old pictures frames I found at my grandparents house.  Well, during that project I broke the glass of one of the picture frames...insert frowny face.  Usually this is no big deal - glass isn't that expensive (especially if you have a 40% off coupon for Michaels and you need a standard size).  But of course this picture frame is not a standard size - its 17 3/4 inches x 23 inches.  Instead of investing too much money into this project (remember the frames were free) I decided to cut the glass myself. 

Here's the original glass that I broke....boo

Here's the glass I bought from Michaels for $9 with my 40% off coupon


Here is the glassc cutter I bought from Home Depot for $3



 
Step 1: With the glass cutter score the glass in a straight line
**You have to apply a lot of pressure for the glass to score**


Step 2: Once the glass is scored break the glass (while wearing gloves) against a straight edge
*I was going to use the rolling pin to break the glass against but opted for the table at the last minute
Ta da..I now have two matching picture frames

**Disclaimer - the first time I tried to cut the glass I cracked the glass right up the middle but luckily I was successful on my second try...practice makes perfect!



I wonder if the glass cutter could cut a mirror?!?! I have an old bathroom mirror from our guest bathroom that I would love to repurpose. 
Has anyone ever tried cutting a mirror with this tool?



~Julia




wednesday's wowzers
Lil\'Luna








Button pic 9

4 comments:

Elizabeth @ Southern Color said...

I love how the pics turned out! The green really pops against the black & white prints!

Julia@SouthernColor said...

We've linked up!! Love your link party...we'll definitely be back next week!

Julia@SouthernColor said...

Thanks sista!!!

Connie Nelson said...

Thanks for linking! Good info to know too :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...