Monday, September 24, 2012

DIY Tissue Paper Fiesta Flowers

Pin It
Good morning! How was everyone's weekend?

Mine was great! You know its fall in Georgia when one day its warm enough to go to the pool and the next day you're wearing boots & a scarf!  (true story)

The other Friday I mentioned that I was working on crafts for my friends wedding shower.  Well, the party was this past Saturday and it was a huge success!  Check back later this week for a full post on the Fall Fiesta Shower. 

Today I am going to share with you DIY Tissue Paper Fiesta Flowers!  This is an inexpensive project with a lot of impact.  In total it cost me about $12 for 60 flowers.

Step 1:

Lay out 4 sheets of tissue paper on top of each other.  Fold in half and then cut down the center.  Now you have a total of 8 sheets.


Step 2:

Stack the 8 sheets on top of each other.   You can now choose to cut out a design on the edges of your flower - for me it was easier to do now since the paper gets really thick.  If you do cut a design, do it on the longest side.

Now fold your tissue paper like a fan in about 1 inch sections.



Step 3:

Once the paper is folded up, tie a pipe cleaner around the center.  I plan to hang my flowers from twine, so I went ahead and tied a loop at the end so that I could easily string the twine through.

Now start pulling out the paper.  Do one layer on the front side, then one layer on the back side and repeat until all the paper is fluffed.


Step 4:

Once you pulled out all the sheets of tissue paper, you'll end up with the side looking kind of flat.  Just fluff the tissue paper until it forms a round shape.


This process gives you a larger flower, the one on the right.  Next I'll show you how to create a smaller flower (on the left).


To make the smaller flower you will need one sheet of tissue paper.  You are going to cut this into 6 smaller rectangles.

Fold in half, then fold in 1/3. Unfold the sheet and cut into 6 pieces.


Stack the 6 pieces on top of each other and follow Steps 2 & 3 from above.


And there you go, that's how to make tissue paper flowers! 
For the smaller flowers, I used a wood skewer as the flower stem.  Secure the skewer by wrapping the pipe cleaner tightly around the end and secure with packing tape.

I am so happy with how the project turned out! 
Check back later in the week for a full Fall Fiesta Shower post!

~Elizabeth






Somewhat Simple
The Fun In Functional @ Practically Functional
HookingupwithHoH Skip To My Lou
shabby creek cottage
The DIY Dreamer

3 comments:

Katie Drane said...

I'm so glad that I'm following you! What a cute touch of color and I love that it's easy too. Thank you so much for sharing on DIY Dreamer:)

Katie
www.funhomethings.com

Elizabeth @ Southern Color said...

Thanks for stopping by Katie!! It was a fun project to complete and I love all the color it added to the party!

Jessi @ Practically Functional said...

Wow, those are super cool! Thanks for sharing at The Fun In Functional!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...