Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Side Table Reveal

Pin It
Remember the tables I found at Goodwill for only $13 each?!?!  Well, I finally refinished them and I am so happy with how they turned out!

The hardest part of this project was figuring out what how to refinish them.  Initially I wanted to paint them a metallic or grey color but I have beige walls in my living room and dining room - grey just wouldn't look right. So I finally decided to stain the tops of the tables a darker stain and then paint the legs an off white.  They turned out perfect and they look great in my living room!


This is what they looked like when I got them.



The first step to refinishing them was cleaning them up - I used Goo Gone for this.  Next I sanded the tops of the tables to remove the old finish.  Then I stained the tops a dark walnut color.  For the legs I spray painted them with a primer and then painted them off white with Behr Paint.  To finish the tables I covered them in polycrylic to protect them.



The most important thing when sanding and staining wood is to "go with the grain".  I taped off the area where the grain was horizontal - I can be a messy painter so this step is only needed if you can't stay in the line :)


Next, I lined the drawers with very contemporary paper that I found at Paper Source.  I love the turquoise and orange pattern!  I then added new knobs to the drawers - they really bring out the dark stain on the tables.


Here are the tables - one finished and one in the original state.  
 


 I love how the tables look in my living room!  Next project...to recover the chairs you see below.   I love the shape of them but they are definitely in need of some updating!
 















Lil\'Luna








The DIY Dreamer
HookingupwithHoH
shabby creek cottage
Supporting Habitat for Humanity

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have the same tables as that. Thanks for the idea to update them

Julia@SouthernColor said...

The tables were super easy to sand down and the darker stain really gives them an updated look!! Thanks for stopping by!

Liz @ Quirky Vistas said...

I found a table like that by the side of the road and I love seeing how you have transformed something so similar in such a different style. The dark top is just fantastic!
Liz

Julia@SouthernColor said...

Uh... so jealous! I wish I had found these on the side of the road but I guess $13 is still a great deal! I'm glad you like the dark top - I love how it updates the tables.

Christine said...

LOVE IT!!!!!!!! Oh and the inside of the drawers is sooo pretty!

Thanks for sharing this at The DIY Dreamer.. From Dream To Reality. I'm looking forward to seeing what you link up this evening :)

Julia@SouthernColor said...

I'm glad you like it! I love the contemporary paper inside the drawers...orange and teal is my favorite color combo right now! We will definitely be linking up this week - love your link party!

April said...

Gorgeous! Thanks so much for sharing the process. I have a table that I have been wanting to do the exact same thing to, but I had no idea where to begin. I mean I had an idea but was afraid to try and end up ruining the table. lol Awesome work! Pinning this for later!

Julia@SouthernColor said...

Thanks April!! I can totally relate to being afraid but that's the great thing about paint...you can always paint over your mistakes and trust me I have done that plenty of times!

Anonymous said...

What color stain is on top? Love these!!

Julia@SouthernColor said...

I used Minwax's Dark Walnut Stain. I love the contrast of the dark top to the off white legs!

Jennibell said...

I love these tables and they look a lot like the dining room table I'm trying to re-do. The problem is I cannot get my stain to look as dark as I want it (I purchased Minwax Dark Walnut Stain). . .but I'm new to staining too. . .any advice?
http://www.jennisseasons.blogspot.com/2012/06/progress-and-compromise.html

Julia@SouthernColor said...

Hi Jenni - thanks for stopping by!! I used Minwax dark walnut stain too for these tables. The first step was to sand them down really well - I started with a lower grit sand paper to knock the previous finish off and then I used a higher grit one to smooth everything down. I applied the stain with a foam brush and left it on for about 2 hours before wiping off the excess - there was barely any excess stain for me to wipe off. The longer you leave the stain on the darker it becomes. Hope this helps! Love your blog!

Bliss said...

Just stopping by to pin these tables. I inherited some very similar from my mom and this gives me the inspiration to change them up.

~Bliss~

Julia@SouthernColor said...

Thanks for stopping by!! These tables were super easy to do and would even look great with a fun color on the bottom!

Jocie@TheBetterHalf said...

Wow, what a big update for those tables. super cute!
Thanks so much for linking up. PLease grab a button or link back and be sure to like us on facebook for contest updates and winners!
https://www.facebook.com/OneProjectCloser

Julia@SouthernColor said...

Thanks Jocie!! We've added your button!

Vic said...

Hi Julia
That doesnt look like chalk paint on the off white. What kind of Behr paint did you use?

jhon carry said...


Thank you for sharing this informative blog with us. Your blog is very useful for us. Are you an aspiring engineer aiming to make your mark in Australia? Unlocking the door to a successful engineering career in Australia starts with a compelling Competency Demonstration Report (CDR), and our cdr writing services are tailored to ensure your success. As a leading provider in Australia, we understand the intricate requirements set forth by Engineers Australia, and our expert writers are committed to crafting CDRs that not only meet but exceed these standards. Our team comprises seasoned engineers and proficient writers who collaborate seamlessly to showcase your skills, experiences, and qualifications in the most persuasive manner.

Stella Jones said...

I appreciate this post thanks for sharing with us. Get expert marketing assignment help tailored to your needs. Our professional team offers comprehensive assistance with marketing projects, ensuring top-notch quality and timely delivery. Ace your assignments with confidence. Let us guide you to academic success!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...