Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Side Table Reveal

Pin It
Remember the tables I found at Goodwill for only $13 each?!?!  Well, I finally refinished them and I am so happy with how they turned out!

The hardest part of this project was figuring out what how to refinish them.  Initially I wanted to paint them a metallic or grey color but I have beige walls in my living room and dining room - grey just wouldn't look right. So I finally decided to stain the tops of the tables a darker stain and then paint the legs an off white.  They turned out perfect and they look great in my living room!


This is what they looked like when I got them.



The first step to refinishing them was cleaning them up - I used Goo Gone for this.  Next I sanded the tops of the tables to remove the old finish.  Then I stained the tops a dark walnut color.  For the legs I spray painted them with a primer and then painted them off white with Behr Paint.  To finish the tables I covered them in polycrylic to protect them.



The most important thing when sanding and staining wood is to "go with the grain".  I taped off the area where the grain was horizontal - I can be a messy painter so this step is only needed if you can't stay in the line :)


Next, I lined the drawers with very contemporary paper that I found at Paper Source.  I love the turquoise and orange pattern!  I then added new knobs to the drawers - they really bring out the dark stain on the tables.


Here are the tables - one finished and one in the original state.  
 


 I love how the tables look in my living room!  Next project...to recover the chairs you see below.   I love the shape of them but they are definitely in need of some updating!
 















Lil\'Luna








The DIY Dreamer
HookingupwithHoH
shabby creek cottage
Supporting Habitat for Humanity
Post a Comment
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...